Wednesday, August 19, 2020

How to use a Roku television when the Remote breaks or is destroyed

I am posting about this because I am not the first person to find herself in the awful position where a device that seemingly can be operated SOLELY with its remote control breaks.  In my case, the remote control was swept into the washing machine with my bedding this morning. It emerged DEAD IN THE WATER.

So here I was with a situation wherein I could not even turn on the Roku.  Every control is on the remote control.  A lot of internet research unearthed a temporary solution.  It is not straightforward, however, which is why I am publishing this post.

First of all, there is a Roku app that can transform any mobile or tablet into a remote control for your Roku television.  

Go to the Apple Shop if you use an Apple device or go to the Google Play App Shop if you have Android and download the official Roku app that creates a remote control inter alia.

The download and installation are simple.  It is when 'No device found' is displayed that the problem occurs.  The fact of the matter is that, if your television had been shut off when your remote control broke or was destroyed, it will not be found by the Roku app!  So what do you do?

Well, in fact, there IS a Power Button on the Roku television.  It is not easy to find.  On some televisions, it evidently is a small button on the back.  On mine, however, I was able to watch a video on YouTube to discover that the power button is in the very centre on the BOTTOM of the television.  On the bottom!!!!  You cannot see it even from the ordinary viewer's position.  There evidently are three buttons under the television but I did not determine what the others did.  I simply pressed them until one of them switched on the television.

Once the Power Button has activated your screen, the Roku app will find it and pair with it without any further fuss or bother.  I have ordered a replacement remote control device, however... the App appears to work, but all the research indicates that it eats away at your battery charge like a demon.

No comments: